Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fasting

Fasting: The Ancient Practices (Ancient Practices Series)

Fasting by Scot Mcknight takes a look at how today’s Christians have grown to seemingly ignore the spiritual discipline of fasting, and why we need to seriously consider practicing it again. He also argues that most Christians have a unbiblical definition of fasting (doing it as a way to get something), and he proves, through scripture, that an accurate definition of a fasting is: Fasting is the natural, inevitable response of a person to a grievous sacred moment in life.

This book really challenged me personally, as I am one of the many Christians who don’t fast. Reading this has helped me realize some of my own sin, and helped me gain a more biblical mindset towards fasting. In addition, this book really helped open my eyes to just how integral fasting has always been to the life of a Christian – throughout history. People like John Calvin and John Wesley, and other Godly men, are quoted in this book to help us see the traditional view of fasting that modern Christians have lost.

This is a great book for anyone seeking to grow in the spiritual discipline of fasting. It’s easy to read and very thought provoking.

This book was given to me by booksneeze.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment